Public invited to Rocky Point ‘open house’ this Sunday PDF Print E-mail

Mayor Scott Avedisian announced today that the city’s portion of the Rocky Point property will be open to the public from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. this Sunday, October 4.  Avedisian noted that last year’s open house – which drew several thousand people to the site – was a great success and afforded Rhode Islanders a chance to see the property for the first time in over a decade.


“The response was so positive that we decided that we would do it again this fall if at all possible,” Avedisian said. “I am pleased that – thanks to the cooperation of the Small Business Administration again this year – we can offer this opportunity to our citizens.”

Those who wish to visit are asked to use what was the main entrance of the former amusement park, at the end of Rocky Point Avenue.

Because another 83 acres, including the midway, the Windjammer and the Palladium, among other structures, are still under control of the U.S. Small Business Administration, the public will not be permitted on that part of the land.

Private security guards and Warwick police officers will be on hand to ensure visitors’ safety.

In August 2008, the city demolished cottages on Rocky Beach. That was just the first in a series of steps that need to be taken before the long-abandoned shoreline property will be safe for continued use by the general public, Avedisian said.

City staff continues to work with state and federal agencies to address a number of outstanding issues, such as the structural integrity of a fishing dock and securing the SBA-controlled acreage, which need to be resolved before the property will be open on a daily basis.
 

September 28, 2009                                                                                         Contact: Sue Baker
For Immediate Release                                                                                     738-2000, ext. 6205