Westbound traffic to use portion of new roadway
More traffic pattern changes are on the way at the Apponaug Circulator project in Warwick as the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) is set to implement three significant traffic pattern changes starting the week of October 10.
The changes are the latest steps in transitioning Apponaug’s traffic pattern into the new circulator which will improve traffic flow across the city, improve safety by replacing signalized intersections with roundabouts, and shifting the heaviest flow of traffic away from the heart of this historic village.
The three significant traffic pattern changes are as follows:
- Westbound traffic will utilize the new Veterans Memorial Drive Extension.
- Westbound travel on Route 117 (Centerville Road) at Apponaug Four Corners will not be permitted. Eastbound travel will continue on Route 117.
- A section of Greenwich Avenue will be open to northbound traffic, from Apponaug Four Corners to the roundabout at Greenwich Avenue and Veterans Memorial Drive.
The $71 million Apponaug Circulator project is on budget and about one month ahead of schedule. The project involves the construction of an entirely new traffic pattern for one of the busiest travel corridors in Warwick, with the reconstruction of 2.3 miles of roadway and installation of five roundabouts throughout the village.
The project is transforming a congested and outdated urban circulator system into a more efficient, safer, accessible and sustainable facility. The new Veterans Memorial Drive Extension will serve as a bypass for the nearly 25,000 vehicles who travel through the heart of this historic village each day. Reducing traffic volumes through the village is a key component in the City's revitalization plans for Apponaug, which envision a vibrant, pedestrian-friendly environment as a destination for its shops, restaurants, and cultural events. Learn more at www.dot.ri.gov/apponaug.
Detailed Traffic Changes
New Veterans Memorial Drive Extension
- RIDOT will open a portion of the new Veterans Memorial Drive Extension to westbound traffic only, affording a direct connection to Route 117 West, I-95 and the Toll Gate Hospital area without traffic lights.
- Eastbound traffic on Route 117 will continue to flow in its original configuration on Centerville Road toward Apponaug Four Corners.
Restricted Westbound Travel on Centerville Road
- Drivers heading north on Route 1 (Post Road) from East Greenwich will not be allowed to turn left onto Centerville Road.
- Southbound traffic on Greenwich Avenue at Apponaug Four Corners will not be allowed to turn right onto Centerville Road.
Two-Way Traffic Permitted on a Section of Greenwich Avenue
- RIDOT is opening a section of Greenwich Avenue to northbound traffic, from Apponaug Four Corners to the roundabout at Greenwich Avenue and Veterans Memorial Drive.
- Traffic traveling north on Route 1 from East Greenwich that is bound for Route 117 West, I-95 or the Toll Gate Hospital area will need to drive north through Apponaug Four Corners to the roundabout at Veterans Memorial Drive and use the new Veterans Memorial Drive Extension.